I've had this quilt on my finishes radar since January, but this month I REALLY needed to get it done! In March, I thought I could get it finished because I had a week-long wait for some online fabric orders to arrive...but I got distracted, didn't even get the units assembled into blocks :)
I've started a trend of making Bonnie Hunter's annual holiday season mystery quilt with the intention of having a new blanket to use in the trailer for the camping season. I love the idea of having scrappy, colourful quilts wrapped around everyone at the campfire, or snuggling under in the camper. I use lots of recycled fabrics - shirts, pyjamas, bandanas, sheets and pillowcases right alongside my quilt shop cottons.
This year, I changed half of the colour suggestions to better reflect my scrap bins. The constant yellow became the orange seersucker, green stayed green, turquoise became yellow, pink changed to brown, and I kept the blacks and neutrals.
I really like the boldness of the neutrals against the other fabric choices. The windmill motif is so appealing to me!
I had ditch quilted all the borders, sashing, and block elements and thought it looked good. So I went ahead and squared everything up, then bound in 2.5 inch wide strips of leftover fabrics from the top. Great! I made the deadline for this goal! YAY!! Then I tried one block with a some more dense quilting.
WOW! I really like the look of this block!! It's hard to see the puffiness of the neutral windmill fins, but the triangular quilting on the black and brown fabrics really give a huge effect!
I haven't totally decided how much of this dense quilting I want to invest into the quilt, but the more I think on it, the more I want to do lots! I haven't done any free motion on the sashing or borders. I will likely do the same triangle motif on the pieced border at some point. The sashing looks a bit naked, so I'm considering a straightline about 1/4 inch on each side of the centre line...but I'm not sure yet...I like the detailed blocks, I just have to look and think on what any of these extras will add to the texture and my enjoyment of the quilt.
So the simple finish I originally planned for this quilt has evolved into something much more detailed and complex, but I know every stitch will be worth it!
Actually, my Celtic Solstice from 2013 followed a similar evolution. I ditch quilted the borders, did an all-over free motion flowery vine in the centre and bound it. Seven months later, I picked it up again and started some detail quilting on the pieced border! I think maybe as my free motion skills get better, I'm more inspired by the detailed piecing to really want to mesh both quilting techniques into a spectacular finish. Or so says my ever humble inner voice!
I'm counting this as a finish for my April ALYOF goal (entry #10 at Fibre of All Sorts)- since it met my original plans of quilting and binding. I'll keep you posted if I decide to further quilt the sashings and borders! Linking up to the ALYOF Finishes party, and later to the Q2 Goal list finishes party. Have you been tracking your finishes?
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.