So for two months, my goal was to quilt and bind this table runner kit that I bought during the Row by Row Experience this summer.
I really loved the design of this row pattern, and the kit had such beautiful metallic accented fabrics that I had to buy it! I knew it would make a fantastic Christmas gift - and since it was July, I'd be finished in lots of time for the festive season....
If only I can get as much done in real life as I imagine I can!!
My first problem came when I began cutting the pieces - somehow I ended up with too little of the background fabric - I was ONE HST short for the pinwheels, and as you can see in the flimsy, I had to scrimp to piece together enough to just get the trees appliqued to each side.
OK, so it's not a deal-breaker! I found a close enough white on white to make up the HST, and some careful measuring and trimming made the trees just fit. For a time, I seriously considered downsizing the trees, but I made it work with the template given.
I really love the jester stockings! I really wish I had found some of those tiny jingle bells to put on the toe - but then it'd be less practical as a table runner....
I have never used a fusible before, but I had some in a box from a well-intentioned relative - you know, the ones who say "you're crafty, you can use this!" I have no idea how old the product was, but even when I followed directions, it didn't really fuse. In the relative's defense, I'm sure I've stored this package for 8 years - in an unheated shed - and I live in Northern Ontario. I imagine the heat/cold extremes didn't help this poor product very much!
Over a few days this summer, I blanket stitched the edges and really really loved the look of that.
But I kept thinking that fusible stuff didn't really work, and my hand stitching isn't very close, and I want this to be used by someone (hopefully every year) on their table! So I made the decision to free-motion just inside the fabric edge while quilting. I'm not entirely pleased with how that looks - I probably should have changed to a nylon thread - but I am pleased that everything's secure.
I love this striped fabric from Connecting Threads! It has all the right tones for both the front and the back!
All in all, a wonderful finish, and I still have time to wrap it before I gift it next month - YAY!!
This also qualifies as a finish in my fourth Quarter goal Finish Along over at the Littlest Thistle.
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.