Way back in April when I started this log cabin quilt, I had hoped it would be finished to gift to my sister and brother-in-law for their 15th wedding anniversary in August.
In September, I began the month with the flimsy as shown above. Then I added three borders to make it bigger.
I like big quilts. I want them to be big enough that if someone turns over at night, the quilt will be wide enough to keep out a draft :)
Over 4 days, I quilted in the ditch around the dark logs of each block. There were only 2 blocks that I accidentally quilted some light logs too - but they were easy to rip out!
Then I started feather quilting in the light areas of the quilt. I've only done feathers on one quilt before: the Craftsy BOM from 2012 which was quilted in another Craftsy class in 2013. so my experience with feathers is limited, but I have more confidence in my skills overall and thought I was up to an entire quilt of feathering.
It's not perfect, but the stitches are mostly evenly spaces and I'm getting pretty good at travel stitching. I am completely happy with my feathers so far!
I was on the final quarter of the quilt top when I ran out of bobbin thread.
Then I realized I didn't have any more bobbins wound.
Then I opened the top of my machine and saw a mostly empty spool.
Only 11 feathers left to stitch on the quilt top, and I'm out of thread. If I hadn't been so pleased with my stitching so far, there would have been more colourful language heard in my sewing room - but I took it as a sign that I needed to work on other projects for a while.
Fortune smiled upon me this past weekend when at a local guild quilt show I found a vendor who sells Superior Threads. Even better, they had both cones and spools of the exact dye lot I'd used on the quilt. So one spool of thread found its way into my shopping bag and I'm determined to get this quilt finished this month!
Linking up today with WIP Wednesday, Let's Bee Social and ALYOF goal parties.
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.