My most loyal customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made quilts for her boys, her sister-in-law and she won the raffle for the student made quilt :)
This time, I used the cutest pieces of girl clothes! Tiny dresses with frills and buttons, an adorable fluffy vest, lots of glittery images and whimsical patterns.
I wanted this quilt to mirror the boys' quilt, so I used 2 sizes of squares in the design. The centre has 6.5 inch squares and the outer border has 4 inch squares sewn into 4-patches. The end result was the centre is 7 blocks across and the matching border is 6 across. I don't mind that the border squares are not half the size of the centre ones - it makes matching points impossible! The main reason I chose those sizes was most prints fit into either 4 or 6 inch in one direction.
The back used all the leftover pieces. I cut most of the remaining clothes into 3 inch strips. There were also some extra 6 inch by longer lengths that I used for the central diagonal. The quilt is now completely reversible and each side has cuteness!
Of course the best part of making a memory quilt is seeing the reaction of the recipient! Ashley loves this quilt and I'm sure she'll be showing it off to everyone who visits :)
Sharing today with Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Oh Scrap and Finished or Not. COme see what everyone else is doing!
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.