It was a long time coming, but I finally finished my Cabin Windows Quilt. This was a kit from Connecting Threads that I picked up in the spring. I love that the kit is made of flannel and has such bright colours. The kit makes a square lap quilt, and I wanted something a little larger, so I ordered some extra sashing fabric and looked at my stash for more flannels.
I had a pair of good quality flannel sleep pants that didn't fit - so I fussy cut them for the centre squares and cornerstones.
Then I cut up all the kit coloured flannel into as many strips as I could and cut the same number of strips from the black for the window veins. I cut the rest of the black into the sashing size and hoped I'd have enough to make the top!! - I didn't really have a plan when I ordered the extra fabric because I didn't have the pattern yet - so I just added 3/4 yard to my cart and waited until it showed up!
The pattern didn't have any particular layout for the colours, and I was totally comfortable with the "see how it goes" impromptu piecing. I started making a square with each colour around the centre. I did plan a bit for the second round - I didn't want the same combinations if I could avoid it - and I wanted to mix up the patterns as well.
After making each of the main blocks, I still had some strips, so I sewed up 4 totally scrappy style blocks, one for each corner.
The backing fabric is also from Connecting Threads, and I went with the circular motif from the Primitive Pennies collection. It has lots of colour, and the shape contrasts well with the log cabin on the front.
I wanted a fairly dense quilting pattern, so after ditch quilting each block, I straight line quilted using the free motion foot. So it's more straightish lines on each block :) I alternated blocks quilting one horizontally, the next vertically. I left the cornerstones unstitched, then made a braid or rope design on the sashing.
I love the look of the ombre red thread (also from Connecting Threads) on the top. On the back, the thread blends almost completely, so only the texture is seen.
Linking up to ALYOF, my September goal was here.
Visit crafTraditions's profile on Pinterest.
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.