A while ago, maybe the end of September? I finished this log cabin windows quilt.
I had 2 leftover blocks, and I wanted a pillowcase, so it seemed my work was nearly over! But of course, I set the blocks and other leftover fabric aside to work on something else.
Then December 1st rolled around - and I needed to get this done!! I'm supposed to gift this for Christmas, and I have to mail them this year!!!
So I laid out the fabric to see what I had. I decided to sew the two blocks together, then frame in red, then use the large piece of backing fabric to wrap around to from the rest of the pillow.
Somehow, I mismeasured though! The case is too wide, but seems the correct length. I'm sure I measured everything at least 3 times - but I guess too big is better! Maybe a nice new fluffy down pillow will make it look better than the flattened ones I have :)
I really like the red - although it looks kinda orangey in the photos. I wish there had been a bit wider piece to make the cuff, that would have given a more balanced look, but I'm happy with it.
This kit was bought from Connecting Threads. It's made with their basics flannel line, and I modified the pattern to be courthouse steps rather than a true log cabin block - just cause I didn't want to think too hard.
I bought extra of the black and added the plaid flannel from my stash to make more blocks than the pattern called for, and ended up with enough to almost fit a twin - excellent for a couch quilt!
Let's hope the gift recipient likes this bold new venture outside my colour comfort zone!
This finish brings me another finish on my fourth quarter goal finish along over at the Littlest Thistle.
My latest memory quilt was delivered last weekend, and it's a cute one!
A new applique technique this month really challenged my fabric folding ability!
Starry Night QAL January blocks complete! Our group made 12 blocks last week for our new quilt along :)
Mary is a local quilting friend who loves to piece, but gets bogged down during quilting. These are 2 of the quilts I machine quited for her this spring :)
Working with local schools has been very fun and the students are pushing me to design ever more interesting layouts from simple subunits. Take a look at the third quilt I helped to make this year!