I always like to have a small project to bring along when I'm away from home, and nearly 2 years ago I started this hexie tablecloth.
I like to use the 12x12 scrapbook cases to organize quilt projects because they are big enough to hold a finished 12" block, and in this case will hold the extra hexagon papers, charm squares and pre-cut 2.5" squares. I chose 1 inch hexagons for this project, mostly because I used them in a project 2 years ago and liked them. I originally bought just 3 packages of hexagons, but have added 5 more packages to my bin because it takes a lot of hexagons for the outer rows, and the older hexies are getting too ragged to keep reusing (I use each hexagon probably 5 or 6 times before it doesn't lay flat or have well defined corners anymore).
When on the move, I usually only carry the green Mickey Mouse reusable sandwich bag which holds a spool of thread, some papers, a selection of colours fabric squares and a pair of scissors. I like to baste the entire bag full of hexies, and sew them together into pairs and triplets. When I have a pile of these, I start making (or adding a new row) to a wedge.
I begin each wedge making the 4-hexagon diamonds then attach 6 diamonds to make the central star. Since I'm using scrap fabrics, I didn't have enough of the lime green, so I've decided to make half the wedges with dark leaves, half with lime coloured leaves.
This pattern was derived from a photo that Debby Kratovil posted of a tile floor in Spain. I sketched the general design onto hexagon graph paper, then adjusted the sides to allow for a flower border around the outside.
I am about 1/3 of the way finished the main design, and hope to keep the momentum going by having the entire top finished by Christmas 2017. I know, that seems a long way away - but it takes a lot of 1 inch hexagons to cover my dining room table!
I rather like the back of the wedge too. It isn't as messy as I thought it would be with all those raw edges and being handled so much. You can see how I baste each shape and I leave the basting stitches in because I think it helps hold the shape of each hexie.
I've only been working on this project when I'm out at appointments or watching my son at various sporting events. Since we just signed him up for ball hockey and swimming lessons, I think I'll be getting lots of stitches done in the next few months!
What hand project do you have on the go?
Linking up to Oh Scrap!
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.