This month, my goal was a repeat of June - to quilt and bind the second colour way of the pattern from The Fat Quarter Shop's quilt along last summer, Deckade the Halls.
For this version, I used poinsettia themed Christmas prints, most of them had metallic gold throughout the fabric as well.
I chose a different quilting design for each block on the quilt. I used invisible nylon thread to outline each image, and for the quilting within.
The trees have a clamshell for the branches and kind of free-form vertical bark-like on the trunk.
The striped mugs have a stippling in every second stripe. The star mug has echo quilting about every 1/4 inch around the star.
The star blocks have 2 lines of echo quilting inside each one.
The gift blocks have a square spiral design on the wrap sections, and the bows are outlined then have 1 or 2 lines to give them a 3D look like a real bow!
The wreaths have a very dense, straight line scribble that really flattens the fabric making the smaller bows pop up with only the outlines quilted.
The stockings use the simplest quilting. The cuff is left quilted in the ditch. One the zig-zags, I stitched down the centre of the neutral fabric. The boot part has stippling on a 1 inch scale.
The ornament blocks have the star echoes into the floral fabrics..
The gingermen blocks have pebble stitching thoughout and nothing on the buttons and bows.
All of the background was quilted with a holly leaf doodle. I used a green polyester thread I've had in the cupboard for a long time - bought it in the clearance bin! I had a hard time making the leaves look pointy and sort of even. Guess I should have practiced that more!
The backing is leftover pieces of the poinsettia fabric. It's a little busy and now I wish I'd used a plain back so the quilting would show better and the quilt would be reversible. Lesson learned!
Linking up with A Fibre of all Sorts
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.