I've always loved colourful, scrappy quilts. So I've mostly made colourful, scrappy quilts. I'm finding it challenging to make a very Uncolourful quilt.
I've done some research on colour value determination and, armed with my camera, I took some pictures to help me with fabric selection.
Lots of bloggers suggest using the filters on your digital camera to show the value, or depth of colour a fabric has in relation to others. First I took 3 pictures: one under the "vivid" setting, one under "sepia" and the other black and white. The vivid didn't look any different than the regular settings to my eye (but these are my usual neutral choices!) The sepia was somewhat helpful in creating more contrast, but hands down, the black and white setting really showed the base value of each fabric.
This next picture is one of those first three shots - I had placed each fabric based on my first impression of whether it was a dark or light fabric. Keep in mind, these are all shades of ivory, beige and tan!
Sometimes colour can be distracting. For example, I kept putting the fabrics with more of a yellow hue into the light pile, but after several photographs, I relocated them to the darker pile. And also a surprise to me was the pale green looked much lighter under the black and white filter than all of the yellow fabrics.
Other times, I background or base colour of each fabric put it into the light category, but the print on top was too dark for the fabric to really belong. Some of these pieces I'm going to use in both light and dark bands - depending on the other fabrics in that specific block. I know, it sounds complicated, but I think I'm getting the hang of it!
This is how my project bin looks this morning. I've got all the spiral blocks finished - so that's 1/3 of the quilt blocks! Yay!! In the bin with the finished blocks are the longer strips to make the more traditional log cabin blocks. I've started only the first round of those blocks as you can see on the table top.
Also on the table are lots of the 5.5inch strips that make a piano key border on the quilt. I've been sewing them together as leader/enders as I make the cabin-style blocks.
Despite how close in value some of these fabrics are, I think the pattern is seen out on most of the blocks. You can see the block on the lower right corner has a poor fabric choice for the dark 2.5 inch band, so the spiral doesn't quite flow to the centre.
I'm really starting to like these blocks, and I'm finding the more traditional dark-light sided log cabin blocks easier to go together. Maybe I'm just more in tune with the idea of value.
Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.
To read of why I'm making this quilt, and more about the fabrics I'm using, click here.
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.