I am a proud Canadian, and I collect many bits of Canadiana during my travels and adventures both nearby and far from my home in Ontario. I am so excited and inspired by all the great Canadian designs this year to celebrate this great nation's 150th anniversary.
In January's edition of the Canadian quilting magazine Quilter's Connection, there was a mystery table runner quilt along that I knew I wanted to try :)
The fabrics I chose for this project are a red on red print from RJR that I've had on my shelf for at least 5 years, and the scattered maple leaf print which was part of the Northcott Oh Canada line last year. I like how the reads aren't an exact match, I think it will add character to the finished runner, fingers crossed ;)
I was so busy sewing and wanting to see how it would turn out that I only remembered to take this one in progress picture. I love how the pattern was designed in rows, and that I had assembled each row and didn't see the pattern until they were laid out in the proper order. Kudos to Ms. Baker for an amazing mystery design!
I wanted to add some depth to the runner by varying the density of quilting stitches in the background and on the leaves. I decided an outline about 1/8 inch inside the leaf would reinforce my pieced intersections and create a raised effect for the entire leaf.
I tried a new to me motif on the background, really just a loopy stipple. I was inspired by some quilting I had seen earlier that week where someone - and I don't even remember where it was or what quilt it was on - but the design started from a point and drew ever larger circles from that same base point. I thought about making 3 circles at each point on this quilt, but I really wanted this project to be finished in one day, so I compromised and made single circles.
I really love the flag print from Connecting Threads, it was a novelty line from last summer, and I definitely look forward to this year's selection! I initially wanted to use it on the front, but I didn't have a coordinating red to work with it. I briefly considered using white, but I gambled that since the pattern was a Canadian theme that maple leaves would be featured. I still like the idea of making the leaves white, but that's a colour that is totally unpractical on a table in my house! Anyone experienced with boys will understand my point here :D
I am pleased with how the runner turned out, and even happier that it took only an afternoon from cutting to binding. I chose this as my OMG February goal knowing that I had a few big projects to be started late in the month. Have you participated in any mystery quilt alongs? If not, does this inspire you to try?Tweet Visit crafTraditions's profile on Pinterest.
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.