I have never made a baby quilt. Seriously. I've been quilting for the past 5 years, and not one baby quilt has been assembled. Throws, twins, queens, even an over-sized king - but no baby quilts.
So when my friend asked if I could help her clear out her WIP pile by quilting a baby quilt for her grandchild, I happily agreed!
I really like the fabrics she chose for this quilt. The palest lavender is my favourite print! The dark purple setting triangles are my second favourite :)
My first challenge was to rip out some quilting she had started, but was unhappy with. The original idea was to quilt in the ditch by hand to finish the quilt.
The ditch quilting really didn't work for the design. It was looking flat and boring.
We both knew there had to be a better solution for this pretty quilt!
I took a picture of the sandwiched top and printed a few colour copies on regular paper to try some quilting motifs. A simple stipple was my first idea, and it looked good, but it wasn't quite enough.
My second doodle was "wandering clover" a design my Leah Day, it looked better, but I've used it in several quilts before....
I wanted something curvy and viney looking, so I tried cucumber vine, but it was going to be too much travel stitching.
I briefly toyed with an echo paisley design, but it was too dense for the scale of the blocks.
The last design I tried was the winner: a wandering vine with loopy flowers to be stitched with about 2.5 inch spacing.
The texture from the wandering vine is beautiful on the solid lavender back fabric. I used a Superior thread, King Tut #938 variegated blue/purple/pink which blends on the front.
I delivered the quilt to Donna on Monday, and she was thrilled with it! I sure hope her grand-daughter approves :)
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.