I have been participating in the Block of the Month that Marian is hosting at Seams to be Sew, called Sunbonnet Sue and Sam Travel the World. Every second Monday, she releases 2 more patterns in the series. There are 26 patterns for free, and for each block you finish and post to her Flickr group, you can request previous blocks or 26 bonus blocks! I'm hoping to stay on track all year and get all the blocks as they are released. The first block I prepared is shown here.
I couldn't get a clear photo of all the blocks, and the rainy spring days mean my outdoor shots are harder to get :)
I'm not sure that I like this two coloured outfit. It seems a bit plain for a traditional costume - but I admit to not knowing what the national costume of China looks like. I have seen several traditional formal men's wear from weddings, and they are usually more colourful than this. Maybe I'll jazz it up with some metallic threads when I stitch the applique down, or add some embroidery stitches later.
I do love these fabrics together, but somehow it's not quite right yet...
I really like this calico like print for the gown. It looks to be the right sized print for the image. The panda is super cute, and I really want to do a great job on the mouth embroidery later.
I really like the background fabric I chose here - it's an old window curtain that was in a pile of scraps my Mom gave me. I don't know how sturdy it will be next to the cottons, but I think I'll add some fusible interfacing to the back to help firm up it's flimsiness.
This little painter dude is so cute! He reminds me of kindergarten art class...without the abstract mess on the floor :)
I don't know why I chose to put him on the black background - it's so dark! I am thinking a brighter thread for the blanket stitch will add dimension and help pop the outfit.
This cheeky little girl is ready to paint the town! Don't you love her pink plaid shoes? I really like the little kitty on her shirt too! She's going to be a fun one when she's done :)
I had a lot of troubles choosing fabrics for this block. The only fabric I loved from the start is the yellow polka dot shoes. I started with the hat and shirt fabric, but the over skirt just doesn't look right. I think if I use a darker thread in brown or near black to outline all the pieces, everything will come together.
I finished some other blocks in February, but somehow they got lost in my updates, so I'll find those pictures and post them soon.
Are you participating in any Block programs? And more importantly, are you keeping up with the releases?
Linking up to Let's Bee Social.
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.