Bonnie Hunter is an inspirational quilter and business woman. This year's mystery quilt has been fun to work on, and I'm so pleased that 2 of 5 weeks' clues were fast and easy!
I didn't get a lot of time to work in my sewing room, but I did get a lot of the pieces cut. I had only one morning to sew, and I stitched up all the strip sets for clue 3, and all the HST's that I had cut.
I sorted all my HSTs so I could start assembling clue 4 first - I mean, there were only 80 units, why not make them first, then cut more for clue 1?
So I sorted all my black and brown squares so I'd have enough variety and began sewing HST to square. Happily. At 5:30am Christmas Eve morning. Then it was 6:30, kid was awake and I was almost finished the pile. Double awesome!
So on Sunday, I began ironing. I started with the strip sets from clue 3 and pressed all my seams to the green. Calming. Nice. Kid was playing at my feet, and dog was lounging in the doorway. What could go wrong?
I started ironing the HST/square units. The black ones all were perfect - OK, so maybe my seam isn't always accurate, but they'll look fine in the quilt. I moved to the set of orange ones - and they didn't look right. I only ironed 2 pair before I stopped and looked closely.
I. Sewed. Every. Pair. of HST. and Square. WRONG. Somehow, I turned every pair sideways.
See how the yellow triangle is supposed to be along the orange square? On each pair, I sewed the brown or neutral to the square. Frustrating. But, I caught it early.
It only took about an hour to rip out the seam on all 80 subunits. Now I have them all lined up next the the machine so I can settle in later today and get this section done properly...I hope!
Let's hope I'm not the only one on Bonnie Hunter's link up with an Oops to report :)
This month's block used paper piecing technique, one that all three of us were familiar with and happy to assemble!
My favourite customer, Ashley asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes. I have previously made her quilts for her sisiter-in-law, her boys and she won a school quilt!
August's quilting technique was English Paper Piecing (EPP), a method I was skeptical to try at first.
As I work through the Starry Night QAL, I am learning many new sewing techniques. This month I was pleased to try fabric weaving - especially as it could be done while camping sans sewing machine or p…
Sometimes the best way to use a panel is to cut it up! Mary used the classic attic window block to liven up a pastoral panel.